Begin with the end in mind.
Why did you start your coaching business? What pushed you to become an entrepreneur? Was it for profit, or did you have dreams bigger than mere money? Every business needs to profit, but it shouldn't be the goal. The secret to success lies not in your profit margin but in your vision and mission.
In this episode, Annmarie Cross reveals her secret to success as a coaching business. She'll talk about how her principles helped her bounce out of the worst business failure ever and how these principles helped her push through all the challenges she faced. She also explains why your business doesn't have to fit a template. It's your business, and you can tweak it to suit your needs and style.
Are you stuck and looking for your secret for success? Have setbacks and failure knocked you down? Listen to the episode and learn how to find your secret ingredient to getting back up and showing up.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Discover what can help you recover from any business setback.
- Learn how to find your unique secret for success.
- Understand how to create a checkpoint in your coaching business so you can show up as you want to in every action you take.
- Download the workbook to jot down relevant notes as you listen to the show
- The Influence Alliance — A business-building community for changemakers who want to build a sustainable and scalable business they love.
- The Influence Alliance Free Podcast Series
- Are you struggling to be known as a trusted authority in your industry? Schedule a chat with Annemarie at annemariecross.com/letschat
[00:00] The Secret Ingredient: What It Isn’t
- The secret for success isn't in revenue or marketing. These are important but aren't the secret.
- It's not technology, publicity, goals, productivity, or your team — though these are also critical for success.
- The key is to stay focused on your vision and mission.
[02:51] Bouncing Back From The Worst Coaching Business Failure
- Take a step back and focus on your vision and mission so you can build from strength to strength.
- Expect to fail. Sometimes you can't implement everything you want to or outcomes fall short. That's part of doing business — coaching business included.
- Get up, have courage, and be bold enough to step forward. Build your business, and make the impact you want to see.
[05:05] The Secret For Success: A Clear Vision And Mission
- An unfocussed vision and mission make it difficult to have a message that cuts through noise and positions you as a trusted authority in your field.
- Your potential clients need to see a vision that resonates with them.
- Do your business your way and understand why you do what you do.
- Having a group that helps you dig deeper into your motivations and reasons for doing business can help.
- It's ok to tweak your message slightly as long as your vision and mission excite you and drive you forward.
[14:12] Don’t Fear Failure
- If you haven’t given up, you haven’t failed.
- The secret for success after a failure is moving forward. Take the next step, then the next.
- Say your vision and mission out loud. Does it inspire you? Is it your calling?
- People listening to your message will get intrigued by your beliefs and get just as excited as you.
[17:41] What Are Vision and Mission?
- A vision is the future of your coaching business and the impact you're going to make.
- A mission defines your purpose, objectives, and approach.
- Your vision is your dreams; your mission is your overall goal and how you’ll get to your vision.
- Listen to the full episode for real-world examples of visions by companies like Oxfam and Tesla, explained by Annemarie Cross!
[25:17] Defining Your Vision As A Coaching Business
- Finding your vision requires that you don’t worry about the ‘how’ just yet. That comes later.
- Identify what you want to make.
- Dig deeper until something gives you goosebumps, then write that down.
[27:58] Think About Your Mission
- Your mission is how- and now-focused.
- You might not be able to define or execute your mission by yourself, and you may encounter new ideas.
- Your mission can be a checkpoint to ensure that you’re living in integrity with who you are.
- It's ok to tweak things.
- Mapping out your company's core values and sharing them with your team can help align everyone in your company to your goal.
[37:25] Your Milestones Are Markers
- Every marker or significant event in your life changes how you see things.
- Look back at your journey. Even minor milestones have helped develop your drive to do something and make a stand.
- Your vision and mission are who you are. Step forward, clarify it, own it, and make it your north star.
10 Powerful Quotes
[03:45] ‘But what's going to be the difference is how you get up — the courage, the boldness that you have each time you step forward, and to get the boldness, and courage, and the stepping forward that you need to build the business and make the impact that I know that you want to make in this world.'
[05:31] ‘If we don't have a clear vision or mission, it's going to be very difficult for us to have a message that not only cuts through the noise but positions us as a trusted authority.’
[18:21] ‘Your mission is the ‘how’ and ‘now’, and that's going to help you get to your vision.’
[13:07] ‘Even though I did tweak my message slightly — and yours might need a little bit of tweaking too. It was still focused on my mission and my vision. It drove me forward, it got me excited, and it still does when I think about my overall mission and vision. And I feel empowered — it pulls me forward even in the days where I'm feeling a little bit disappointed with my results.'
[14:15] ‘Failure — actually, there is no such thing as failure other than if you decide to give up.’
[16:50] ‘When you capture that and create a vision and a mission that is so powerful — it not only drives and powers you forward, it sparks excitement in you — and that often sets off intrigue and possibility with those around you too.’
[25:50] ‘What is that impact? What is that dream? What does that drive? Get clarity on it, write it down. We'll worry about the “how you're going to impact” and “how you're going to do that” and all of the steps. That comes later.'
[26:52] ‘Keep digging, keep digging, and going deeper, and deeper, and deeper until all of a sudden, you'll say something, you'll get those goosebumps, and you'll get that, “F yeah” as like one of my other clients did.'
[29:40] ‘Could this challenge in a good way and empower someone to think differently, to do differently, to act differently, to get a better result? If the answer is “no”, then I think, “Oh, can I tweak it? Can I change it so that it can be a lesson — an empowering, an encouraging lesson?”’
[34:47] ‘But not just any vision and mission, anything that you write down on a paper piece of paper, it has to connect with you, it has to be tied to your story, your journey.’
Enjoy This Podcast?
You can't move forward if you don't have a direction. Your vision shows you where to go, and your mission shows you how to get there. It doesn't matter what you're doing — again, begin anything you do with the end in mind. A clear vision and mission is the secret for success and a surefire way to bounce back from any challenge you might encounter.
If you enjoyed today's episode of Ambitious Entrepreneur Podcast, then hit subscribe now!
Post a review and share it! If you learned something by tuning into this podcast, do not hesitate to write a review and share it with your friends so they can define their future through their vision and mission.
You can also follow us through Facebook.
Want to build a scalable business you are passionate about? Join The Influence Alliance – the Business Building Community for Change Makers.
Have any questions? You can contact me through these platforms:
To staying ambitious,