Staying Motivated and Managing Your Energy
There's nothing more fulfilling than living your purpose and making a significant impact through the work you do. The problem is, even the most successful people can lose their drive. Some days will feel like a drag, and your energy will be nowhere to be found. But fortunately, staying motivated is a skill that you can learn. Every day you make a change — even a small one — you're setting yourself up for optimum success.
In this episode, Annemarie Cross discusses the five key areas to staying motivated. She also shares the assessments you can take to identify your strengths and aspects you need to improve. Annemarie also talks about the most effective techniques she has learned for staying motivated.
If you want to know how you can get the energy to serve your clients best, then this episode is for you.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Discover the reasons why you aren’t staying motivated to do your work.
- Learn the five areas that you need to work on to become highly motivated.
- Find out how you can nurture your holistic being.
LISTEN NOW (and check out the Resources and Episode Highlights below):
- Download the workbook and and jot down relevant notes as you listen to/watch the show
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Kolbe A™ Index
- Sleep Foundation’s Circadian Rhythm article
- Releasing Spiritual Gifts Today by James W. Goll
- Ambitious Entrepreneur Show Episode 281: Why Service-Based Businesses Should NEVER Compete On Price
- The Influence Alliance – a business-building community for changemakers who want to build a sustainable and scalable business they love.
- 90-Day ‘Idea to Launch’
- The Influence Alliance Free Podcast Series
- Learn how to become an industry thought leader. Sign up now!
[02:38] The Five Key Areas to Becoming Highly Motivated
- Even a 1% change in your everyday life can bring significant changes in the future. These changes will compound to help you live your day at your optimum.
- The five key areas in becoming highly motivated are: environmental, practical, physical, emotional and spiritual.
- Working on these areas is especially helpful for entrepreneurs and coaches who are selling their expertise.
[03:33] Key Area 1: Environment
- Your work environment must be conducive for you to work efficiently. How aware are you of what makes you tick?
- According to Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), introverts restore their energy through spending time on their own, while extroverts do it by interacting with others.
- Setting deadlines is critical to staying motivated.
- Your lack of motivation might be due to working on activities that don't fall under your skillset.
[07:50] The Kolbe A™ Assessment
- Your cognition drives your actions which drives your performance. Kolbe A assesses your strength in four different areas: fact finder, follow-through, quickstarts and implementers.
- Fact Finders love researching information.
- Follow Thru are people who follow through with their tasks.
- Quickstarts are people who love starting new projects and trying out different things and challenges.
- Implementers execute tasks.
[10:27] The Time You Work
- Your work hours contribute to becoming highly motivated. You can be a morning or night person, but you must remember how your rest also affects your performance.
- One cannot be productive with limited sleep.
- Schedule tasks that don't require a lot of thought for when you do not have much energy.
[11:47] Key Area 2: Practical
- Document and focus on your mission and vision to stay motivated.
- You’ll find yourself unmotivated by doing projects which don’t align with your missions and vision. In this case, get a high-quality team to support you.
- You need to make sure that your time is clear for the things only you do so well.
- Identify the systems and processes in your business that support you. Listen to the full episode to learn Annemarie’s practical tips on maintaining your motivation!
[15:47] Key Area 3: Physical
- Running a business and staying motivated requires adequate food, water, exercise and sleep. Always listen to the signs that your body is telling you.
- Studies have shown that taking power naps can make you work more efficiently.
- Circadian rhythms are 24-hour cycles of the body's internal clock. It runs our essential functions and processes.
- Everyone has different circadian rhythms. Your tasks may interrupt your circadian rhythm and affect your motivation.
[19:35] You Are a Holistic Being
- It's normal to struggle in some other areas and feel more comfortable in others. However, the areas where you experience difficulty can affect areas where you're more capable.
- As you’re a holistic being, you need to look after yourself in all these areas.
[20:21] Key Area 4: Emotional
- Each one of us can go through significant life changes. It's important to ask ourselves how we are. It's okay not to feel alright.
- Bottling things up is one of the biggest inhibitors in staying motivated.
- Your conversations with others can help you deal with emotional pain. Sometimes, all we need is to verbalise what we’re feeling.
- Don’t let your inner critic compare yourself to other people. Other people don’t know what’s going on in your life and vice versa.
[26:47] Key Area 5: Spiritual
- If we’re not looking after ourselves, it can impact us physically, emotionally and spiritually.
- Taking focused action allows you to nurture yourself spiritually.
- Tune in to the full episode to know how Annemarie fosters her spiritual journey!
10 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
[02:24] ‘If you make a 1% change each and every day, you'll find that the momentum that's built from that will suddenly compound and really be helping you to show up each and every day at your optimum.’
[07:37] ‘So I really encourage you to spend some time in getting to know what makes you tick. Maybe you're not motivated to do something because it's not a part of your skillset and not what you do naturally really well.’
[10:19] ‘Get clear on your strengths and where your giftings and talents lie and then work to that.’
[12:20] ‘If you're not clear on your vision, how do you know where you're going?’
[15:57] ‘You cannot expect to work full steam ahead if the fuel you're putting into your tank, isn't the right fuel as far as food, water, exercise, sleep.’
[17:47] ‘Let your body be an indicator of what's going on. If you're not listening to the signs, your body will take control and make some decisions for itself to get you into action’?
[23:36] ‘Renew your mind every morning’?
[25:31] ‘Be mindful about what you think, the thoughts that you allow to rattle around in your head, and the words that you speak over yourself. Because what comes out of your mouth and what's going on in your mind will impact your thoughts, and your beliefs, and your behaviour, and your actions — and that will impact the outcome.’
[25:56] ‘You will seek the evidence that you need to prove your belief is true.’
[32:12] ‘Continue to do the same thing over and over again, you're going to get the same results. So something has to change.’
Enjoy This Podcast?
We all want to make a big impact on the world. However, being highly motivated every single day is no easy feat.
If you make a 1% change each day, you’ll eventually find yourself showing up every day at your optimum. If you enjoyed today's episode of Ambitious Entrepreneur Podcast, then hit subscribe now!
Post a review and share it! If you enjoyed tuning into this podcast, do not hesitate to write a review and share it with your friends.
You can also follow us through Facebook.
Want to build a scalable business you are passionate about? Join The Influence Alliance – the Business Building Community for Change Makers.
Have any questions? You can contact me through these platforms:
To staying ambitious,